1. Preliminary concept discussed with HOS/ GC(Arch)/ RH(CFD)
2. First Industrial Design Meeting – 8th June (9.00AM): LF, MW, MD, KP, SV, (SlA)
3. Presentation to Industrial PAC and brainstorming – 19th June.
4. A&D/ DSC/ University Stakeholders presentation: Josh Humphries’ Design Education Group. Late July/ August.
5. Regional Feedback and exploration of Collaboration: China/ India.
6. Document Preparation/ Sept.
UNU/ ARC Discovery Application (2007 submission)
1. Social Object: Collaborative project in the “sustainable consumption” area.
2. Focussing upon visual/audio documentation of people’s object culture in various countries. Focus upon urban lower income groups in various global contexts.
3. Collaborators (TBC): John Fien, Chris Ryan, Esther Charlesworth, ……
4. International links with India(Praveen, Amrit), China(fan, Ying), Brazil(Cecelia), Israel (Ido, Ezri), Turkey (Alpay, Fatma), Portugal (Eduardo, Carlos), Pakistan(Duria), NZ (Qassim), UK (Chris), .. (TBC).
5. Preliminary talks with Zinaida Fadeeva – United Nations University (UNU).
6. Approach/ Methodlogy chapter and example case work from SV PhD chapter.
7. Global rationale to be developed.
8. Exploring methodology: Group meeting with Amrit Srinivasan/ IIT Delhi, on 5th July.
8. Local stakeholder meetings in July/ August.
WHO (2007?) Project Diabetes
1. Started funded project with industry 2006 – methodology of Radical Innovation that is people centred. Run now as premajor/ Major project – 2 students.
2. Prospecting setting up a WHO collaborating centre re this project (World figures: 180 million today, 366 million diabetics projected for 2030, Australia: 980K today, 1.7 million in 2030 – http://www.who.int/diabetes/facts/world_figures/en/index6.html).
3. Talking to David Mainwering re SET collaboration.
4. Proposed to Zhejiang (China), National Institute of Design (India) re their setting up research centres with PhDs – Joint supervision with me. NID has flagged Okay – is talking to Ford Foundation for Grant and support.
5. Exploring methodology: Group meeting with Amrit Srinivasan/ IIT Delhi, on 5th July.
6. More on this by year end.
1. Draft for discussion – ready.
2. Group drafting/ discussion.
3. Submission to readers/ students: for feedback and consultation.
4. Preparation for print.
5. PDF online.
6. Print production of trial run.
ARC LIEF Grant (2007 Submission)
1. For development of digital capability within the practice of “working with China”.
2. CIs TBC.
3. Preliminary work underway for converting rationale from Linkage app…..
Learner Centred Project
1. Carrick Grant Expression of Interest submitted: Unsuccessful
2. Resubmission to be developed.
3. Possible ARC Discovery application
4. 2 PhD positions
5. CIs: LF, HM, BdlH, HE, SV
Sus Fund (Sustainability Victoria) 2006
1. Two applications submitted.
2. Hometowns Project (with S Curlis) – 3 yr project, to develop green maps with 11 city councils and 22 schools in Melbourne. Collingwood College signed on as first school. Mayor of Yarra very keen.
3. Recycling Incubator (by Liam F, with SV (!)) – to set up incubators to support new recycling businesses, in collaboration with City Councils. First on board is Darrebin. Office Space and yard for waste materials to be provided by various city councils. Trial incubator has been run in collaboration with RMIT Business (Ann Gallon). 5 firms have emerged – one for glass recycling (two id students and one business student) has commissioned its first vendor import from Bolivia.
4. Sus fund Results in August.
5. Both offered as electives (and upper pool studios?). June Hope teaches elective.
6. Studies 2 and 4 (July 06) to incorporate both projects.
DSC Portfolio ‘Community of Practice” 2006
1. Two student led applications in “gender and equity” and “methods” submitted.
2. Results any day now.
3. Kate Archdeacon: ‘Gender’
4. Rob Eales: ‘Corporation Game’
Invited Positions 2006
1. I have accepted two invited positions that require me to develop research, teach/ supervise PhDs, and visit each campus for a minimum of two weeks each year. The inviting institutions will pay for all expenses and hospitality. It is my responsibility to lay out the terms of engagement.
2. “Research Fellow” – NID(India) to develop research projects in their New Research Campus at Bangalore. Have suggested areas: Waste, Social Object (see later for details), Diabetes. Themes have been accepted. Collaborator in NID former student of mine Praveen Nahar.
3. “Visiting Scholar” – Zhejiang University, China. Objective/ mandate – Develop their capability in “Cultural” aspects of Design and “Sustainability”. Have suggested areas as above. Collaborator Ying Fangtian.
4. RMIT students overseas – one student (Mark Whiting) in ZU this semester, one student (Rob Eales) going to NID next semester.
ARC Linkage application 2006
1. Working with China – submitted.
2. Results in Oct.
3. To run as upper pool studio july 06 (?) SM/ SC/ Catalyst (?)
4. Jt publication on this for conf in India in Feb 07.
Product / Service / System Focus:
The way in which you illustrate / visually communicate your business venture is vitally important.
Put simply: How potential markets witness your activities from a quick and initial view is how they decide to commit to either purchasing your product, investing in your system or opening up their other wise wasted material – so it is essential to do it really well.
The web links below give a snapshot of both good and bad examples of visual communication of service / business systems. Spend some time looking at how they do what, think about how you respond to the visual information and how that leads you into the “story” of that venture.
software / business systems: http://www.tegos.de/english/
Also spend some time looking at the examples (powerpoint) on the CD given to your group.
Start putting together a “shmick” presentation that can then form the basis of your ventures web presence.
Quick review of “what the Businesses look like”.
Each group will present their business by showing their product /service /system as a core element of their business.
Does the system make sense in a quick viewing?
Does the system look like it really services a “need” (for either the use of waste or the provision of a desired product /service)?
What does it look like?
What other ways of telling the story of this business can you suggest?
Tomorrow we have a session together in the usual place from 10 am to 12noon.
I want to focus on the “product /system / service” end of your propositions.
So – bring something that expalins your venture (model / diagram etc) and we will collectively run through how you can make this work really work.
See you then
this british shoe company has a great business model for what we are doing.
they are carbon neutral, use 99% recycled materials, only use ethical manufacturers, and produce a vegan line of product.
worn again website
Ok so you have developed businesses, products and systems, now it is time to start thinking long term – and beyond financial frameworks.
There is a new economy that has formed out of nations working towards Kyoto targets, becoming waste and material responsible and trying to establish some sense of sustainable economic practice in view of climate change (Australia and The USA excluded). This economy works on CO2 deficits – which is now a tradable commodity. So the simple way of looking at it is this: A company makes a low /zero emission product and sells it for $$$ – it then claims a carbon rebate $$$ for not contributing to CO2 emmissions.
This is a significant shift in the way the world economy works – look into it.
You can be “green” and get rich!!
A south american connection?
Cant wait to see your work to date.
Not a lot of activity on the blog. So here goes:
I have suddenly become active , June cracked the whip, and have been trying to get the confidentiality agreement going. Got one from Ann at RMKT business. It sounds very Formal – and we could do with something a bit sexier. Spoke to our man at RMIT Research and Innovation and they said – ummmm, who wants confidentiality, and from whom. In short you want to protect your ideas from the world till they – the ideas I mean – see the light of day. So YOU ought to be bgetting this done. Anyway there are templates all over the place.
See About for this http://inventors.about.com/od/nondisclosure/
And IP Australia gives us this: http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/smartstart/cag.htm
And guess what – dont tell June this – they have a Business plan template. YES!!! Everything you needed to know about starting a new business but were afraid to ask.
(where are the construction waste boys?)