Reservations in Tamil Nadu over 30 years have worked to such a level that OBCs are able to outshine the Forward Castes (See Tamil Nadu Figure Below) and hence the overall performance of the students have increased validating the argument that reservation brings out the best from the weaker sections of the society.
Casteism is the root cause of the suffering of more than half (according to the disputed Mandal Commission) of India’s population. To eliminate casteism we need to help underprivileged people to do well in their education and share the same social status as the upper caste people.
Suggestion by Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
It has been suggested that although caste is an important factor of exclusion at work in Indian society; other factors such as gender, economic conditions, geographical disparities and kind of schooling received cannot be altogether ignored. For example, a kid studying in a village or municipal school does not enjoy the same status in society as another who has studied in an elite public school, caste notwithstanding. Some academics have argued that a better system of Affirmative Action would be one which seeks to address all the factors of exclusion at work in society which restrict a person’s competitive abilities. Notable contributions in this regard have been made by Professor Purushottam Agrawal of the Jawaharlal Nehru University in the form of the Multiple Index Related Affirmative Action [MIRAA] system (see here: http://www.sabrang.com/cc/archive/2006/june06/report3.html) and by Dr. Yogendra Yadav and Dr. Satish Deshpande of the Centre for the Study Developing Societies [CSDS].
Suggestions from others
- Reservation decisions has to be taken based on objective basis
- Emphasis should be given to proper primary (and secondary) education so that groups under-represented in higher education institutes and workplaces become natural competitors.
- The number of seats should be increased in the prestigious higher education institutes (such as IITs).
- Government should announce long term plan to phase out reservations.
- Government should promote inter-caste marriages  in big way  for abolition of caste system as initiated by Tamil Nadu.