The environmental movement! Mankind continues to struggle with ideas and ways to save the planet. Words like sustainability, eco-friendly, environmentalist, ecosystems, and green are becoming a part of everyday vocabulary. The resounding message that Earths resources are being depleted has become a focus in the lives of many worldwide; and environmental issues continue to spark heated political debate.
Realistically, two-thirds of natural services to humankind are in decline; depleted fisheries, extinct species, toxic pollution, soil erosion, dying rivers, lopped-off mountain tops, melting glaciers, and Earth’s atmosphere is heating up like a flambeau.
Facing these realities more and more people are becoming aware of the need to show compassion. They know we can enjoy rich lives with modest consumption without losing quality of life. In order to accomplish this we need to band together and work towards preserving our environment and our communities. Beginning on a personal level we can adopt social strategies that “globalize” our society. Humanity requires large-scale change and by each one of us making daily choices we will see the age of ecological enlightenment arrive.
Here are a few key ways we can help become part of the solution:
• Stop Hydrocarbon: Walk, ride a bike or take public transport. Encourage and create low-impact public transportation.
• Grow & Eat Local: Dine on what’s sustainable. Preserve local agricultural land and start a backyard or community garden.
• Slow Consumption: Shop second hand. Recycle everything. Make global responsibility your fashion statement.
• Build Community: We cannot solve the global ecological challenge individually, but we can in our neighborhoods and communities. Grow compassion.
• Be Courageous: Challenge conventional thinking. When one person stands up then others are inspired to stand up also.
• Research: Become proactive by educating yourself on ecological responsibility. Become curious about how society works and how nature works.
• Use your skills: “Become the Change you Want to See in the World” Lead by example. Use your skills, knowledge, and passions.
• Protect Nature: Ecology of our planet demands attention now. Many animals are on the verge of extinction. Become supportive and discover how to learn from nature. [*Earth Trailer]