Design is vehicle for change. A Design Project can be a campaign. In a furiously online world I see design projects as either a first step towards a business venture or a campaign that changes the way people think. Design innovations can change the way we deal with ageing and death. Design projects can change the way the world thinks about issues. Design projects can be about improving the lives of ordinary and marginalised people. Below are some of the areas I am currently interested in/ excited about:
- How to die well
- Ways of dealing with obesity
- Imagining a Future beyond Medicine
- Ways of Journalling Pregnancy
- Design for people with Locked-in syndrome
- Proposing a Bio-Dome (a personal diagnostic ecosystem)
- Design for living longer
I live and work in Melbourne. In Melbourne there is a lot of energy these days around imagining a healthy future. I engage with this energy.
- My design approach focuses upon proposing a future that contains preferred/ visionary products and services.
- I am excited by design projects that focus on the small and big challenges facing humanity.
- I see design projects as campaigns and so have developed, and therefore teach, the abilities required to prototype design projects within communities.
- My current interest is in innovations in healthcare services, where I focus upon de-medicalising and re-contextualizing normal practices to develop new traditions and artefacts in the areas of:
- Mental health
- Maternal health
- Hearing loss
- (Defines the design theme or discourse)